Current Rate 0.30% APY**
With the rising cost of healthcare and many companies offering high deductible healthcare plans, UECU’s Health Savings Account (HSA) helps you defray the cost of medical expenses. Our HSA earns a great high-yield dividend while helping you manage your healthcare.
- Make medical purchases with the free HSA Visa® Debit Card everywhere Visa is accepted – and earn VantagePoints™ rewards*
- With UECU’s HSA you don’t have to worry about moving the account if you switch jobs
- Contributions are tax-deductible, earnings are tax-deferred, and qualified distributions are tax-free and penalty-free
What is a Health Savings Account (HSA)?
An HSA is more than just a savings account for medical expenses. Learn why a health savings account stands out from other savings arrangements. For coverage and contribution limits, click on the digital HSA brochure below. For additional information, visit the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf.
HSAs were created by Congress through the Medicare, Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 and became effective on January 1, 2004. They were created in response to the rising cost of healthcare and health insurance and the larger number of individuals and families with high deductible health plans. The intent of Congress in passing the Health Savings Account (HSA) legislation was to provide financial incentive to employers of all sizes to provide health insurance and put healthcare decisions back in the hands of consumers.
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) are accounts insured by the NCUA up to $250,000 collectively for all savings products excluding IRAs
- HSA contributions can be made by payroll deduction, employer deposit, check deposit, or funds transfer from a member’s UECU share savings or checking account
- Eligible contributions are fully tax-deductible
- Qualified distributions are tax-free and penalty-free
- Rollovers and direct transfers can be made from one HSA to another HSA or from a Medical Savings Account to an HSA
- No required minimum distributions
- Earns a high-yield dividend rate
- Combined quarterly statement
- With a UECU HSA, you can easily access your funds
- Make medical purchases with the free HSA Visa Debit Card everywhere Visa is accepted – and earn VantagePoints™ rewards*
- Order checks if you prefer to write checks from your HSA to cover your medical expenses
Have Questions? Need Help Getting Started? Call 800.288.6423.
To open an HSA, complete the application and return it to UECU.
*Earn 1 UECU VantagePoint™ for every $2 you spend with an HSA Visa® Debit Card on qualified healthcare expenses. Cardholders must be enrolled in E-Statements to earn 1 point for every $2 spent on Visa purchases. ATM cash transactions or cash advance transactions are not eligible to earn points. Points are earned net of credits.
**APY=Annual Percentage Yield
Dividend rate and Annual Percentage Yield (APY) are stated as of 10/1/2021.