UECU’s 2021 Scholarship Contest is now open. Enter for your chance to win a $3,000 scholarship!
We are pleased to announce that we’ll be offering two scholarships for the 2021/2022 academic year – one $3,000 Utility/Partner Company/Association Scholarship and one $3,000 Community Scholarship for Reading, PA. Applicants can submit a scholarship application for one of UECU’s scholarships. For details, please see the scholarship submission requirements below.
Official UECU Scholarship Contest Submission Requirements
Who Can Apply:
Students who will be attending an accredited college/university or technical/trade school in the fall of 2021. Eligible applicants can submit a scholarship application for one of UECU’s scholarships.
$3,000 Utility/Partner Company/Association Scholarship
Available to: UECU students who have become members by having an eligible family member in the utility/energy industry who works for a UECU partner company (visit uecu.org/partners for a listing). And, individuals who joined UECU through their own employment at a partner company while pursuing further education.
Available to: Pennsylvania residents (who live outside of the Greater, Reading PA area). New! All PA residents are eligible for membership with UECU through PACC, the Pennsylvania American Consumer Council. As a PA resident, you can join UECU at uecu.org/join and Click here to complete the online scholarship application (application will open in new window).
$3,000 Community Scholarship for Reading, Pennsylvania
Available to: Individuals who live, work, worship, or attend school in Reading, Pennsylvania
- Applicant must be a UECU member in good standing with a UECU share/savings account in his/her own name prior to the scholarship submission deadline. Not a member yet? Call 800.288.6423 to become a member.
- Applicant must be a high school senior through college graduate student. Applicant cannot be an employee of UECU, its affiliates, a UECU Board Member, a Supervisory Committee Member, or family member and/or living in the same household thereof.
- Applicant must be attending or accepted at an accredited college/university, or post-secondary technical/trade school. Verification of attendance/acceptance will be required of the winner only.
- UECU members who’ve won a scholarship through the Glen A. Yeager Scholarship Contest in the past three years are not eligible to participate in this year’s contest.
How to Apply: Complete steps 1 and 2 by May 16, 2021
Step 1: Click here to complete the online scholarship application (application will open in new window).
Step 2: Go to uecu.org/cueitup and select a 5-minute, interactive e-course from any of the featured CueItUp playlists. After you complete your e-course, make a 2-3 minute video OR write a 1-2 page summary explaining what you learned and how you can apply it to your financial life. Include a tip that you can share with friends and family based on what you learned. Include your name and contact information at the end of your video or written summary. Videos should be broadcast on YouTube.com. Submit your YouTube.com link or written summary to UECU at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are submitting a written summary, don’t forget to do a spelling and grammar check.
With our CueItUp e-courses, you can learn how to:
- Build healthy financial habits
- Talk about money
- Build emergency savings
- Use online and mobile banking
- Use a checking account
- Use credit cards responsibly
- Buy a car
- And more!
Prizes: Scholarships are made payable to the college, university, or trade/technical school of choice in the winner’s name by August 2021.
Deadline: Completed scholarship applications and video/written submissions must be received by May 16, 2021.
Entry Judging Criteria: Entries will be judged on creativity and content. Get creative and show us your money skills!
Scholarship Award: Two winners will be selected in this year’s scholarship contest, and each awarded $3,000 if they meet the scholarship eligibility requirements.
Winner Notification: The winners will be notified by email and asked for verification of attendance or acceptance at an accredited college, university, or post-secondary trade/technical school. After all information is verified, a check will be distributed to the school of each winner. Scholarship funds may be used to pay tuition expenses while enrolled full time. The winners will be announced on the UECU website and in the October edition of UECU’s Member News.
Release: All entries become the property of Utilities Employees Credit Union, and by submitting the entry, you authorize UECU to utilize all or a portion of the information for purposes of press releases and/or publication in UECU newsletters, website and social media content, newspapers, trade magazines, etc., announcing the scholarship recipients’ names, contents of the entries, and other reported information.
About UECU: Utilities Employees Credit Union was formed in 1934 to fulfill the financial needs of America’s utility workers and their families. Today, UECU serves 47,000 members nationwide. As a not-for-profit credit union, UECU is a financial co-operative where members are the owners. With no stockholders, UECU returns profits to members with exceptional savings and loan rates, and exclusive rewards.
UECU is committed to helping members financially succeed, which makes the Credit Union the perfect financial institution for young adults at college or about to enter the workforce. With money management tools, expert advice, and special financing options, you have everything you need to help you get started.
Membership Benefits for Students
We’re committed to helping you succeed! Whether you’re getting ready to start college or enter the workforce, we’ve got everything you need to get started. Your membership benefits include money management tools, expert advice, special financing options and more!
- Free checking accounts
- Fee-free debit card with ATM rebates and rewards
- Free mobile app & check deposit
- Free online banking
- Free bill pay
- Automated savings options
- Low cost loans with no credit, no-signer option
- No annual fee credit card with no credit, no co-signer option
- Private student loan options and consolidation loans
- CueItUp Financial Wellness – CueItUp can help you bank better, prepare for big purchases, feel confident about your finances, and more. Each 2-5 minute e-course will help you make your money work harder for you. All it takes is a little time to CueItUp!